There are safeguards that can be taken to prevent dog bites from happening in your household.
Tips to Avoid Dog Bites in Your House:
- Work with a local animal shelter, rescue organization, or reputable breeder that can help you find breeds and locate dogs of that breed that will be a good fit for you.
- Work with a trainer to establish good training habits for both your new dog and you.
- Be sensitive to cues that a child might be fearful or apprehensive about dogs. If a child seems frightened you should wait before bringing a dog into your household. Dogs with histories of aggression should not be brought into a household with children.
- Be cautious when bringing a dog into a household that has an infant or toddler.
- Spend time with a dog before choosing to buy or adopt it.
After You Have Chosen Your New Pet
- Spay/neuter your dog. This can help to reduce aggressive tendencies.
- Infants or young children should never be left alone with the dog.
- Don’t encourage aggressive behavior with the dog. For example, do not wrestle with the dog.
- It’s important to socialize and train the dog to exhibit submissive behavior such as rolling over to expose the abdomen and giving up food without growling.
- Seek professional advice if the dog develops aggressive or undesirable behaviors.
** T****each Children Basic Safety Tips to Avoid Dog Bites**
Here are some tips that can help you and your family (including your new pet) stay safe:
- Do not approach unfamiliar dogs.
- Do not run from a dog.
- Be still when approached by an unfamiliar dog.
- If you get knocked over by a dog it’s best to roll into a ball and stay still.
- Do not play with a dog if there is not an adult around to supervise.
- Report stray dogs or dogs displaying unusual behavior immediately.
- Do not make direct eye contact with a dog.
- Do not disturb a dog that is sleeping, eating, or caring for puppies.
- Allow a dog to see and sniff you first before petting it.
If you’ve been injured by a dog bite accident, you need the expert advice of dog bite attorneys such as those at Personal Injury Attorneys PLLC.