43-year-old Alisha Church was killed in a recent pedestrian car accident. She was hit by a car while jogging on Beardsley Road just east of 75th Avenue. Glendale police Officer Tracey J. Breeden said Church and another woman were jogging eastbound in the roadway on the south side of Beardsley Road at approximately 5:20 a.m. The two were approached from behind by a gray four-door sedan which struck Church. The other jogger was not struck. The driver was a 42-year-old male from Peoria. He remained on the scene until police arrived. Church was treated at the scene but then transported by air to a local hospital. She was pronounced dead at the hospital. Investigators do not believe speed was a factor but have yet to determine if impairment or distraction were factors in the collision.
Awareness is the Key to Decreasing Pedestrian Accidents
Accidents can happen when both pedestrians and drivers are inattentive or careless. While there is little a pedestrian can do to improve a driver’s habits, there are steps pedestrians can take to improve their own safety.
Here’s a list of tips you should follow as a pedestrian:
- If at a signal, only cross when the “walk” signal is displayed.
- Always check for traffic before stepping into the crosswalk. Be aware and stay alert for vehicles that are turning, vehicles potentially running the red light, and drivers who might not have seen you. Wait for traffic to stop before you start crossing.
- When you are crossing at a crossing without a signal, cross the street one lane at a time. You should only move into the next lane when it is safe to do so.
- Do not assume a lane will stop or that a driver sees you just because the lane you are crossing has come to a stop. Often a stopped vehicle blocks the view for drivers in other lanes.
- Try to avoid walking and crossing the street in the dark. If unavoidable, you should wear brightly colored or reflective clothing so that passing cars can see you clearly.
If you’ve suffered from a pedestrian accident, you need the expert advice of pedestrian accident attorneys such as those at Personal Injury Attorneys PLLC.