A 32-year-old woman was taken to Maricopa Medical Center after suffering non-threatening injuries after being hit by a school bus in Guadalupe, according to the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office.
Woman pedestrian hit in school bus accident while in crosswalk
According to the sheriff’s office, the woman was hit but the bus while crossing in the crosswalk at Priest Drive near Calle Iglesia. Allegedly, the bus driver reportedly did not see the woman.
Here’s a list of tips you should follow as a pedestrian:
- Always check for traffic before stepping into the crosswalk. Be aware and stay alert for vehicles that are turning, vehicles potentially running the red light, and drivers who might not have seen you. Wait for traffic to stop before you start crossing.
- Practice extra caution when around driveways. Even though you are on a sidewalk, a vehicle turning in or out of the driveway has to cross the sidewalk. The driver might not be aware of pedestrians.
- When you are crossing at a crossing without a signal, cross the street one lane at a time. You should only move into the next lane when it is safe to do so.
- Always look left, then right, then left again before stepping out to cross.
- Do not assume a lane will stop or that a driver sees you just because the lane you are crossing has come to a stop. Often a stopped vehicle blocks the view for drivers in other lanes.
- Practice extra caution when departing a bus. Often passing cars do not stop. Always check traffic before crossing.
- Parents should walk the routes to school with their children to show them the correct and safe places to cross.
- Try to avoid walking and crossing the street in the dark. If unavoidable, you should wear brightly colored or reflective clothing so that passing cars can see you clearly.
If you’re involved in a car or bus accident as a pedestrian, you need the advice of expert car and pedestrian accident attorneys such as those at Personal Injury Attorneys PLLC.
Source: azfamily.com, Woman hit by school bus in Guadalupe, March 27, 2014
Personal Injury Attorneys PLLC